Monday, November 10, 2008

And now a brief hiatus from the History of Eastern Europe

So, while lately, I have only posted segments of my life told during a more dull time in my life, the news of late demands my return to the work of writing to no one (or at least to the two people who have honored me by reading the content of these pages.)

In watching this past election, I realized this year more than ever, the two party system failed again to adequately represent the populous. This year the core business issues - the economy, health care, the little heard of war which consumes the lives of hundreds of thousands, gay marriage, immigration - were overshadowed by the politics of race, age, gender, and other issues which we as a people say we are past - until our arrival in the confines of the voting booth.

The masses voted in record numbers, many voting on the latter criteria, and relatively few voting because they believed that the winner policies would work. However the question remains - who do I vote for?

Let's look at the policies and beliefs of the candidate and examine their ideologies against my own - and ask yourself where do you vote?

Economy - Take away the benefits to the large corporations and let the banks suffer who wrote the bad debt. Let the nation have 5 years of suffering in exchange for not charging me for the mistakes made by both the borrower and lender. I know there will be a ripple effect and it will impact me. However, it will impact my son and I if we bail out the failures, and it will teach millions a bad lesson - if you fail, the government will bail you out. This is a fiction and I certainly didn't read this in the constitution.

Healthcare - Nationally available health insurance issued by non-profit organizations who incentivize healthy living, but still support those in need. I know this is a pipe dream, but similar to GEICO auto insurance, if enough people are members, everyone's rates decline. Further, if you don't have $35MM salaries for those at the top and an investor base to be reporting to, you can keep rates lower and pay for those who need the care.

The War - Let's face it, no one is withdrawing this year. We will be there for 3-4 more if we want to leave Iraq better than we found it. (Oh by the way, no one was mentioning Afghanistan - That war must be ok on its own.) We need a serious and reasonable plan which may have a 10 year duration, but McCain (100 years) and Obama (next week) have crappy plans. Get some big brain guys in a room and come up with a plan and milestones.

Gay Marriage - It is a state's rights issue for sure, as both candidates spoke about. The federal government has a need to stay out of this. Licensing is handled at the local level, so I understand that the candidates could push this down. However, let's be realistic. Marriage is a bond between two people. Frankly, I don't understand this bond between two men, but I know a few gay people and honestly, their relationships are often better than many heterosexual couples. Let's call it a day and endorse it from the federal level. If they want to be miserably bound for eternity, then give them the "Marriage License" as it says on my license issued by the city of Philadelphia (Ha! It is not a religious institution as the candidate framed it making it reasonable to push it to civil unions in lieu of marriage.)

Immigration - Make this country back to what it was - If you come here, work hard, care for your family, and learn English, then I welcome you. But bring value. And when you do, you get the green card and citizenship. And when you do, I will find one person who has been on welfare for a decade and ship them back to where their geneology says they are from.

So, with that being said, I am for small government, some social assistance, reasonably open borders and I even align with Pelosi on the gay rights thing, so long as she stays away from my firearms. So where do I vote?

Instead, I listen to the many Americans who voted. Many voted republican, despite being in the lower or disadvantaged class, not because of the candidate, but rather because they believe in the pundits. Limbaugh, Hannity, you have destroyed critical thought. Instead, white males who bitch about welfare and social programs and "the gays" think you are right. Ironic given that they make less than $150,000 and will see less financial benefits under a republican administration. On the other hand 94% of the black populace voted for Obama. Why? Well, I am certain than many took the vote as a matter of advancement. I watched Oprah cry for Obama and then comment later about the pride of her ancestry at this moment. However, on the issues, she was fairly quiet.

Now truthfully, there was no scientific poll in the development. I should also say that I voted for Obama as well, because I did more closely align with his policies, and I was deathly afraid of McCain's less than liberal running mate. However, for those of us who think critically, where was our true choice?

The concept of a real third party needs advancement. For too long, people who believe in:
- small government,
- pro-choice,
- pro-death penalty,
- pro-gay rights,
- pro-national healthcare reform,
- pro-alternative energy
- pro-defense
- pro-fair tax
- term limits for all

have been overlooked. People who want straight talk - not the McCain version, but real straight talk which doesn't involve calling the opposition names or spouting half truths. We need a catchy name, an understanding of the needs of the people, and a realization that our nation has lost some of its lustre in the eyes of the world and in the eyes of many of its people. And that at the end of the day, if we won't repair it, someone else will. And then we will have failed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm in the 3rd party you mention! Count me in... and thanks for the invite to your blog... now you have 3 reading your blog...